COMPETENCIES / OUTCOMES:
At the conclusion of the PACE-MedSpanish Program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the conversational Spanish skills necessary to develop the therapeutic relationship, by introduce him/herself to the patient, confirming the patient’s identity and chief complaint.
- Conduct a history of present illness (HPI) in Spanish with appropriate follow up questions.
- Conduct relevant review of systems (ROS) in Spanish.
- Conduct relevant Past Medical History, Social and Family in Spanish.
- Elicit the patient’s medication list and allergy history in Spanish.
- From measured baseline, pre-program levels, show improvement in the understanding of the historical information provided by the patient in Spanish.
- Provide appropriate Spanish responses to the patient’s questions in the course of the patient encounter.
- Describe a plan of care to the patient in Spanish.
- Better motivate patient compliance by providing culturally- and linguistically-sensitive arrangements for treatment options, informational resources, and follow-up care.
- Better understand the folk medicine and cultural issues impacting on the care of the patient (Mexico referenced).
- Recognize when help is needed and seek help from a professional interpreter or other appropriate language resources and to be able to effectively monitor the use of language resources.
- Demonstrate skill-improvement in MedSpanish Pre-Test and Post-Test.
- Identify areas for improvement in his/her Medical Spanish skill set.
- Develop an appreciation/understanding of International Medicine and Global Health.
- Have a study plan for future advancement in language and cultural skills.
NB. This is skills based training. Whereas everybody significantly improves , the final success is determined by previous experience with language ( especially Spanish), time invested level of motivation and talent.